Here are some of my ideas for finding ways to enjoy exercise over the winter:
1. Get involved in a winter sport: skating, hockey, skiing, sledding; these are all sports that get you outside during the winter months and can add a fun change to your exercise routine.
2. Stay at home: if making your way to the gym after school involves too much time in the cold and gettinghome after dark, why not try a YouTube workout from the comfort of your home. Here are some of my favorite exercise channels:-The Body Coach TV: 15-20 minute videos that incorporate High Intensity Interval Training with bodyweight exercises.-Popsugar Fitness: 30 minute dance videos for a fun cardio workout.-GymRa: a mixture of different strength and yoga workouts by various fitness coaches, geared towards increasing overall strength and flexibility.
3. Try something new! The fall is the perfect time to switch up your routine and try out a new class. My favorite ways to try out new classes include:- Classpass: an online membership based platform that allows you to book classes at studios across Toronto and NYC- giving you a variety of options at a more affordable price. – Groupon: There are often deals on monthly memberships or class packages on this website. There are lots of unique workout classes if you live in a city that can get you thinking differently about fitness and make it fun for all types of interests! Consider finding a studio that offers :- aerial yoga- salsa lessons- kettlebell classes.
4. Organize a hike: with the beautiful fall colors and all the benefits of being outside in nature, now is the perfect time to get a group of friends together to go for a hike/picnic at a nearby trail. You can get your workout in while climbing the hill and your social media material with the view at the top. Do it for your mental and physical health or for the photo op.
5. Re-inspire yourself to create positive habits! If you need more reasons to move your body, have a listen to one of these great podcasts that will get you pumped to continue striving when the colder temperatures hit:
-Exercise as a Treatment for Depression: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/exercise-depression
-High Intensity Interval Training: http://www.hhpcast.com/2018/02/hit-high-intensity-interval-training-aka-no-pain-no-gain-episode-305/
-How to Get Started with Weight Training: https://mindpumppodcast.com/1112-how-to-get-started-with-weight-training/
-Dr. Bob Harding: Why This ER Doc Prescribes Strength Training:https://www.painfreestrongradio.com/pain-free-strong-radio/episode-55-dr-bob-harding-what-this-er-doc-prescribes-strength-training/